1 (14-oz) can jack mackerel
3 tbsp olive oil
2 qt mayonnaise
½ cup vinegar
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 oz of fish sauce
½ oz Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp garlic, freshly chopped
½ tbsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
Water, as needed for consistency
These quantities make about 2-½ qts.
1. In a food processor filled with a stainless steel blade, combine the mackerel (bones and all) and the olive oil to create a wet fine paste.
2. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add mayonnaise, vinegar, Parmesan, fish sauce, Tabasco, Worcestershire, garlic, pepper, salt, and water) as needed) to make a thick mayonnaise with a fishy taste.
3. Adjust with more fish sauce, Parmesan or any other ingredient to taste.
To make the salad :
4. In large mixing bowl combine chopped romaine lettuce, grated parmesan cheese, and croutons.
5. Pour two oz of the dressing along the sides of the bowl and toss to combine.
6. Garnish with extra cheese and croutons to serve.
This variation of the classic Caesar doesn't use raw eggs. Make the dressing separately then toss with the greens and crouton, garnishing with extra croutons and cheese.